Steven Poacher talks about Mickey Harte’s plans for Donegal talisman Michael Murphy, how many forwards Tyrone will play upfront, and why a tight battle between these sides will always trump seeing Dublin hammer a Leinster side.
These old rivals meet for the second time in two weeks after Donegal won the Allianz League Round 6 clash with Tyrone by four points (2-17 to 2-13) in Ballybofey.
This will be their ninth championship clash in ten seasons, with Tir Chonaill having won five to the Red Hand County’s three of the previous eight.
Steven Poacher talks about the key men on both sides, how Mickey Harte will look to deal with talisman Michael Murphy based on previous meetings, and why Ryan McHugh may come in for close attention.
The former Carlow and current Down minor coach looks at whether the O’Neill County will play with more forwards in the attacking half of the field, and the importance of Conor McKenna.
LAST FIVE CHAMPIONSHIP MEETINGS
2019: Donegal1-16 Tyrone 0-15 (Ulster semi-final)
2018: Tyrone 2-17 Donegal 1-13 (2018 ‘Super 8s’)
2017: Tyrone 1-21 Donegal 1-12 (Ulster semi-final)
2016: Tyrone 0-13 Donegal 0-11 (Ulster final)
2015: Donegal 1-13 Tyrone 1-10 (Ulster 1st round)
• This will be the 25th championship meeting between the counties, with Tyrone leading 13-10 with one draw from their previous 24 clashes.
• Mickey Harte leads Tyrone against Donegal in the championship for the 11th time. Donegal won six to Tyrone’s four of the previous ten.
• Donegal haven’t lost in the opening round of the Ulster championship since 2010 when Down beat them in extra-time in the quarter-final clash in Ballybofey.
• Tyrone finished fourth in Division 1, winning four and losing three games.
• Donegal finished fifth in Division 1, winning three, drawing one and losing three games.
• The winners will play Derry or Armagh in the semi-final on November 14.
📮 Sign up to the OurGame newsletter — a daily email reminder of our latest videos, articles, quizzes and more.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the OurGame YouTube page for live streams and more.